Hilton Garden Inn - Stony Brook
Rocky Point schools may eliminate vacations following storm
Nov 22 2012
Rocky Point Superintendent Michael Ring said the five days of classes Rocky Point students missed following ...
Hurricane heroes
Nov 22 2012
In the Nov. 8 issue, we asked our readers to submit stories of people who helped others during and after ...
FEMA recovery unit rolls into Huntington Town
Nov 08 2012
To give residents a head start on collecting aid for Hurricane Sandy damage, the Federal Emergency Management ...
Suffolk County hurricane update
Nov 08 2012
Itís been two weeks since Hurricane Sandy battered Long Island. With power restored to the majority ...
Trading gas for electric
Nov 08 2012
While everyone was waiting on hours-long gas lines, East Setauket resident Brian Margolis was charging ...

Gas station arrest is not the norm

People waited to fill up their tanks at the Lukoil station on Middle Country Road in Centereach on Monday. Photo by Matt Calamia

November 05, 2012 | 02:47 PM
While most gas lines have been relatively docile, many watched over by police officers, Suffolk County Police arrested a Stony Brook teen Monday morning after he allegedly pulled a knife on an East Setauket gas station employee who had just told him the station was out of high-octane gasoline, police said.

According to SCPD, 17-year-old Jared Giacolone, of Woodfield Road, drove his Subaru to the BP gas station at 728 Route 25A and got into an altercation with an employee at 8:30 am after the employee told Giacolone the station was out of high-octane gasoline. When the employee told Giacolone to leave, Giacolone pulled out a folding knife and threatened the employee, police said.

Giacolone was charged with second-degree menacing and fourth-degree criminal possession of a weapon. He will be arraigned at a later date.

While incidents of violence on gas lines are the exception and not the norm one week after Hurricane Sandy, a gas shortage continues to plague Long Islanders. Ports had been shut down because of the storm and reopened Friday, with tankers coming into the Port of New York and gas going to distribution centers. But many gas stations — some without electricity and others without gas — are still not up and running, making for very long lines at the pump.

Centereach resident Mike Nangle waited nine hours on Sunday at the Hess Station on Middle Country Road at the corner of Stony Brook Road in Lake Grove.

"I got on that line and they said, 'It's coming in three hours,' then 'two hours,' then 'it'll be here in three hours' and it just kept going and going," he said while waiting in line at the Lukoil station on Middle Country Road in Centereach on Monday.

Nangle was about 30th in line at Hess and didn't want to give up his spot after investing so much time.

"I'm not leaving," he said he told himself. "I know I'm going to get gas and had nothing to do the next day, so I just waited it out."

Unfazed, he was grateful to finally get the gas.

"I'm really not frustrated. The people that really need gas, they're not even getting it. They don't even have houses. It's getting colder. If this is all I have to deal with, I'm lucky."

Andrew Dipierno of Terryville also remained calm while waiting at the Lukoil station Monday.

"In the big scheme of things, it's really nothing, just waiting on line, but it's ludicrous that in this day and age that we have to," he said. "They should get maybe 10 trucks full from wherever they come from and just hit every gas station. Just blitz it. Then in the afternoon, hit someplace else."

Selden resident Marlee Cole only waited for about half an hour Monday morning at the Gulf station on Middle Country Road in Centereach to fill up her mother's car. She waited on a much longer line the night before to fill her own car.

"We all got our cars filled. We're able to get to work and school and everything, so it hasn't been that horrible. It was frustrating at first because what were we going to do with our cars to get to work?"

Stephen and Dianne Gill, Port Jefferson Station residents, were waiting to fill up a container at the 76 gas station on Route 25A in Port Jefferson Station Tuesday. They said they haven't seen lines like this since the gas shortage in the 1970s. They had a car parked on line for the Hess gas station down the road and were filling up the container at 76 for Dianne's car.

Stephen, who works at Brookhaven National Laboratory, said, "I had no gas to get to work."

Port Jefferson resident John Manning had to take off work Tuesday and was filling up the car for someone who had to get to a doctor appointment Wednesday morning. It was his first time waiting on a gas line since the storm hit. He had been waiting for five hours, since about 9 am.

Cars at the front of the line had been there since 6 or 7 am.

"It's ridiculous," Manning said Tuesday afternoon. "Hopefully employers are forgiving."

Sharon Cuddy from South Setauket Park waited about 45 minutes at the Gulf station on Middle Country Road in Centereach and said the experience wasn't all bad.

"They've been courteous and nice, serving coffee on line. It's really been great."

She too realized she's better off than many others.

"I'm just glad my home was intact. Gas is the least of the problems really."

emailEmail Link

Tags: Hurricane Sandy

Newsletter Sign Up

Enter your email:  
For Email Marketing you can trust
Kids Country Day Camp
Gallery North
Regina Brandow, Esq.
Facebook Twitter
inclusion image
Eastside Services
Emerald Magic
SB Vision World - Large Box